Knee Ankle Foot Orthotics (KAFO)
The orthotics pictured below are a small sample of some of the devices available here at Access Prosthetics. We would be happy to schedule a free consultation with one of our Orthotists where we can discuss your unique needs. Working in concert with your doctor we will design an orthotic that fits you and your life style.
Cascade Graphite Sagittal KAFO
A KAFO is a long-leg orthosis that spans the knee, the ankle, and the foot in an effort to stabilize the joints and assist the muscles of the leg. While there are several common indications for such an Orthosis, muscle weakness and paralysis of the leg are the ones most frequently identified. The most common causes of muscle weakness include:
- Muscular Dystrophy
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Spinal Cord Injury
Until recently, the best option for a patient with weakness of the muscles that control the knee was to wear a KAFO with a locked knee joint. This provided stability to the knee to prevent involuntary flexion, but caused other associated problems like muscle atrophy and increased energy expenditure in gait. Within the past few years, a newer design of knee joint has been developed that can automatically lock and unlock at the appropriate phases of the gait cycle to allow a more fluidic walking style. These knee joints can be used to create a KAFO that is appropriate for certain patients with knee weakness that fit the treatment criteria of the system.
Each KAFO is custom-made to the specific requirements of the individual. There are numerous design options available that make usage of the Orthosis both functional and comfortable. A detailed examination and assessment of the patient allows us to suggest the best available component combination.
Otto Bock C-Brace
C-Brace – Reshaping the future
The C-Brace opens up entirely new possibilities for users with its microprocessor sensor technology. Flexing under load while sitting down, navigating slopes, walking on uneven terrain, or going down stairs step over step–all this defines a new level of mobility.
The C-Brace is smaller and lighter, so the user does not need to exert as much energy while walking. This also allows the user to wear the orthosis underneath their clothing. The microprocessor sensor makes the entire gait pattern more dynamic and responsive. The user can also change settings on their joint: switching to cycling mode, using the smartphone app.
Orthomerica Orlando® KAFO
- Orlando® KAFO Pre-assembled Femoral Fx Orthosis Pre-fabricated and pre-assembled for many full leg orthopaedic indications.
- Especially useful for distal femoral or proximal tibial fractures or hemiplegic patients following CVA.
- Narrow M-L, longer A-P thigh design for more anatomical fit. Free motion, adjustable, or drop-lock knee joints allow for specific range-of-motion and functional knee control.
- Single axis or solid ankle shoe insert with extended footplate will prevent flaccid foot drop for post- CVA patients.
- Plastic joint covers for cosmesis and support. Components also available separately.
- Trimmable polyethylene components offer more comfortable total contact
- Pre-assembled — not a kit
- Lightweight, durable polyethylene femoral and tibial components with a low density tongue