Ankle Foot Orthotics (AFO)
The orthotics pictured below are a small sample of some of the devices available here at Access Prosthetics. We would be happy to schedule a free consultation with one of our Orthotists where we can discuss your unique needs. Working in concert with your doctor we will design an orthotic that fits you and your life style.
Ankle Foot Orthosis (AFO): This type of Orthosis can serve a variety of purposes, depending on clinical indications, but is primarily used when a condition commonly described as Foot Drop exists. When an AFO is indicated, it may also provide foot and ankle stability when ligaments or boney malalignment contribute to foot or ankle instability.
There are several types of AFOs, ranging from articulated and rigid thermoplastic to dynamic graphite designs. The most appropriate design is dependent on the support required at the foot, ankle and knee.
When used as a dropfoot splint, the AFO is often designed with pre-flexed hinges that will prevent the toes from dragging when the foot is off the ground. The brace may reduce energy expenditures, allowing for a more fluid gait pattern.
Some common pathologies that can result in Foot Drop are:
- Peripheral Nerve Trauma
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Cerebrovascular Accident (CVA or stroke)
- Spinal Stenosis
Otto Bock WalkOn Ankle Foot Orthosis
Walk more naturally
Foot drop can occur after a stroke, traumatic brain injury, or result of multiple sclerosis, neuromuscular atrophy, or peroneal paralysis.
Lightweight and durable, the WalkOn ankle foot orthosis is designed to help lift and support light to severe drop foot. This lower leg orthosis will allow you to complete everyday tasks, like walking up and down stairs, easily and more naturally.
You won’t have to worry about your orthosis being seen either—the sleek and discreet design ensures you can fit the WalkOn inside any shoe or under any pant leg.
EZ Stride AFO
- Best choice for patients who pronate (valgus or eversion)
- Lateral Strut spirals to posterior aspect
- Available as a medial strut (used for patients who supinate/varus/inversion)
- One piece…continuous strand design
- Super flexible calf band accommodates a wide range of circumferences
- Structurally reinforced in high stress areas
- Prefabricated sizes available XS, Small, Medium and Large in right or left orientation
- Weight limit: 275 lbs.
- Dynamic footplate and strut store and release energy assisting patient through gait cycle
- HCPC L1930 (appealing)